Walnut Whole Wheat Bread
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Yield: 2 loaves, 10 servings per loaf
- 1 env. (2 ¼ tsp.) active dry yeast
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 ½ tsp. salt
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups Fisher® Chef’s Naturals Walnuts, chopped
- 1 tsp. cornmeal
- Dissolve yeast in 1½ cups warm water (about 105°F) in a large bowl and let sit for 10 minutes. Stir in honey, oil, salt and whole wheat flour until flour is moistened. Stir in all-purpose flour, one cup at a time, until a soft dough forms and stir in walnuts.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured counter. Knead, adding flour as needed, for about 5 minutes to form a smooth dough. Place dough into a large oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rise until it has doubled in bulk, about 1½ hours.
- Divide dough in half, form each half into a large ball and place on a cookie sheet that has been sprinkled with cornmeal. Loosely cover with plastic wrap and let rise about 30 minutes or until balls appear puffy.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Sprinkle top of loaves with flour and cut an x into the tops using a serrated knife. Bake 35 to 45 minutes or until a thermometer inserted into the center of the loaves registers 190°F. Cook on a rack, waiting 20 minutes before cutting.
You can freeze half of the dough before the second rising. Defrost overnight in the refrigerator then place on a cookie sheet as indicated in step 3 to let rise and bake.
Kitchen too cold for dough to rise? Place the dough in a cold oven over a pan of boiling water with oven door closed. It will create the moist, warm space you need.
I didn't add the full amount of walnuts, and I made my X's too deep. Other than that I followed the recipe exactly and it came out perfect. It is slightly sweet and nutty, with a great texture. It slices easily and holds it shape even with fairly thin slices. It's a great sandwich bread. I will definitely be making this again, perhaps adding some different kinds of seeds or nuts, or some oats. It really looks and tastes like artisan bread from a bakery.
Write a review for this product!
First: Rate the product. Please select a rating between 0 (poorest) and 5 stars (best).
(High Rating)(Low Rating)
Max length 500